For this recipe I combined all I had left in my fridge and that resulted in a delicious kale salad. Don’t be skeptical about the 45+ minute tag, it includes the marinating and cooking time of the tempeh. I usually marinate the tempeh the night before, but it can also be prepped then and there.
This recipe is super easy, you can do 90% of the work while the tempeh is cooking.
This salad will be great with a light garlic oil dressing and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Tempeh
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (can be ommited if using smoked paprika. Then use 1 tsp of smoked paprika and 1 tsp regular paprika)
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 200 grams kale
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 can cooked chickpeas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the marinade, add all the ingredients to small bowl and mix well. Cut the tempeh into medium thin slices and coat with marinade and let marinate for minimum 30 minutes, bake at 215C for 20 minutes or fry on medium to high heat until crispy brown. Set aside.
- Steam the kale for a minute and let cool. After cooling, carefully squeeze remaining water out.
- Cut the carrots into thin slices and chop the kale into smaller pieces. Add to a larger bowl along with the chickpeas and mix them together.
- Serve the salad in a bowl with the tempeh.