This lentil loaf has been a hit with all of my friends who have tasted it, even the kids during Christmas! It is super tasty and has a rough, nutty texture and it is perfect to serve as a holiday dinner.
I usually make this lentil loaf when I have people coming over, so I make the side dishes while it’s cooking in the oven. It goes really well with these Soy Mince Patties, Creme Fraiche Salad and a Simple Mushroom Gravy.
I used my own Homemade Ketchup recipe to make the smoky glaze for this lentil loaf, and it turned out great! Adding a dash of either liquid smoke or smoked paprika gives it a BBQ flavor that is just right.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @chill_itsvegan on Instagram and hashtag it #chill_itsvegan. We’d love to see what you cook!
Lentil Meatless Loaf
- 400 g cooked white beans
- 230 g cooked lentils
- 1 medium onion,chopped
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 3 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 200 grams oats
- 1 tbsp corn starch
Spices for the loaf
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- a pinch ground ginger
- a pinch ground nutmeg
- 250 ml ketchup
- 1/2 tsp agave syrup/sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke/smoked paprika
- Start by preheating the oven to 180C. In a larger bowl, mash the beans and add the carrots and mushrooms.
- Cook the onions with the lentils for about 6 minutes. Add to the bowl with the others.
- Add in all the spices and mix everything by hand. You should have a wet mixture, add in the oats 100g at a time. Mix everything well and add the remaining oats, more if mixture is too wet.
- Grease the inside of a larger breadform, add in the mixture and even it out in the form. Pour the glaze over the loaf. Bake in the oven for at 90 minutes, check the loaf in the last 10 minutes by sticking a wooden chopstick in the middle. If it comes out clean, it can then be removed from the heat.
- Let the loaf rest for 15 minutes before turning it over. After turning it over, wait 15 minutes before cutting into it.
- Add the ketchup in to a smaller bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Adjust taste if necessary.